2015 FANS Washington Park
DATES: May 15 through June 15 to submit you park photos to
for more details visit the fansphotocontest.com website
Visit our 2015 Photo Contest page for more information
Kim Long, author and researcher shares facts and folklore about squirrels. Squirrels are rodents with which we have a love/hate relationship. They are cute when playing, infuriating when they steal the ripe tomato we have lovingly watch since a flower. Don't miss this facinating topic
Join Us and bring a friend.
Wash Park News
1. Weekend Drop-In volley ball permits are eliminated. The Denver Parks and Recreation Advisory Board unanimously recommended a new policy that would limit the space where games like volleyball would be permitted but eliminate the need for most permits.
2. The construction trailers currently parked at Kentucky and Downing are a staging area for a major irrigation upgrade project this spring for the Perennial Garden and west section of the park between the Loop Road and Downing. The Perennial Garden along Downing was designed by S. R. DeBore and built in 1917.
3. Seven ash trees were removed around the north edge of Grasmere Lake. They were in poor health and the city is proactively removing ash trees that are ailing. FANS project will be buying seven replacement trees and monitoring them during the first two years.
4. During the wetland and foot path project around Grasmere Lake a portion of the old sidewalk was left unfinished. This portion of the path was not replaced due to anticipated 2 million dollar future restoration of City Ditch. This project is planned to address the significant amount of erosion of the irrigation ditch sidewalls. City Ditch remains the only open portion of the historic canal built in 1861, which remains within the City and is on the National Register of Historic Places.
5. All the water in the ditches and lakes of Wash Park was changed to “recycled water” beginning in 2004 with the completion of T-Rex on I-25 and Denver’s Waste Water Recycling Plant
Youth Fishing Derby
Youth Fishing Derby June 9th